From Fringepedia - The FRINGE wiki
|Air Date:||02 December 2010|
|Written by:|| Joel Wyman|
|Directed by:||Brad Anderson|
|Guest Cast:|| John Cassini as The Librarian|
Seth Gabel as Lincoln Lee
Karen Holness as Diane Broyles
Ryan McDonald as Brandon Fayette
Stefan Arngrim as Store Owner
|Transcript — Additional Images|
Entrada is the eighth episode of the third season of FRINGE. It first aired on December 02, 2010. The science team believes it has discovered a device that may allow them to communicate with the alternate universe. Peter deals with the aftermath of the recently retrieved ancient artifacts. Olivia continues searching for an alliance that will help her return to this universe.
Peter receives a call from a cleaning lady in New York, explaining a woman named Olivia Dunham disappeared in front of her eyes and claimed that she is trapped in the other universe. Shocked and surprised, Peter slowly lowers down his phone and faces Bolivia, comfy in bed. He makes up an excuse for the call. Peter feels uneasy and faces his back to Bolivia in the bed. Peter stays awake for several hours. He slips quietly from the bedroom, leaving Bolivia sleeping alone in the bed. He starts to inspect items in the drawer, file box and card index. Peter picks up a strip of images they took together. He moves toward the desk with two identical laptop, picks one of them up and moves to where he can keep an eye on her. Peter browses through old cases and stumbles into a password-protected files. Peter struggles on guessing the correct password and is interrupted by Bolivia. Peter makes another excuse, telling Bolivia that he is sending an email to a friend in Greece... the same friend who uses a familiar phrase. Bolivia fails to understand the meaning of the phrase. Peter translates the phrase for her and pretends that his friend is in the same position as him - he has communication gap with his father. Bolivia invites Peter to go back to bed, but Peter excuses himself to get a glass of water. Bolivia goes back to the bedroom while Peter opens and closes the cabinet demonstratively. As Peter walks towards the bedroom, he notices the gun beside Bolivia's badge is gone. Bolivia is holding a pistol pointed at him. Peter confesses that the greek phrase is mentioned by Olivia. He also asks several questions to Bolivia but she refuses to answer. Instead, she tosses him a small case with a vial and a syringe. Peter injects himself with the chemical in the vial and his vision starts to blur. Bolivia leaves her paralyzed partner.
A crippled man unlocks the front door of his antique shop and get startled by Bolivia's presence. Inside the store, he takes out the key from his register and hands to Bolivia. In the back room of the shop, she begins typing her situation on the Selectric 251...
- COVER BLOWN. EXTRACTION NEEDED.
An FBI EMT checks on Peter's condition. Peter still feel sick, after the paralytic drug wears off. Broyles informs Peter that the phone call he received was made from a payphone in Manhattan and there is no way to track down the caller. Walter thinks that Olivia was able to cross over momentarily. Broyles asks Peter as to why he is in Olivia's apartment at 2:15am... Walter quickly intercepts and creates an excuse for Peter. Peter, however, stops Walter from finishing his make-up story and confesses to Broyles that he became more than friends with Bolivia. Peter suddenly realizes that Bolivia takes the wrong laptop... not the laptop that contains protected files.
At the antique store, the crippled owner complains about his unfulfilled promise. Bolivia switches on the laptop and realizes that it is the wrong one. Disappointed, she slams the laptop closed.
OVER THERE Brandon reports to Secretary Bishop that Bolivia is unable to finish her mission and requires an extraction. Secretary Bishop advises him to use a narrow harmonic field to focus on individual person and have Olivia and Bolivia swap. Brandon asks the secretary if he could keep parts of Olivia to study. Brandon leaves the office and Secretary Bishop meets his next visitor, Colonel Broyles. The secretary warns him of a traitor, who helps Olivia to get pass the patrols in the Liberty Island and later, claims that Bolivia's mission is a success. The secretary and the colonel shares a toast for Bolivia's safe return.
In the corridor, Colonel Broyles stops to find a screaming woman, being drag out of her cell. Colonel Broyles stares at Olivia, who is begging for some help.
Bolivia returns to the backroom of the antique store and finds the typewriter finishing up a response. She removes the paper from the typewriter and learns what she needs to do next. Bolivia goes back to the store owner... she hands him a metallic box.
Peter, Walter and Broyles head to Bronx. Peter checks on the antique shop and shows the crippled store owner a picture of Bolivia. The store owner denies having seen her. Peter goes around the shop and finds his lost laptop. Caught, the store owner shows them the quantum entangled telegraph, as Walter called it. Peter removes the ink ribbon and reveals some of the other universe's message:
- . WELL DONE. INITIATE. PHASE TWO
- NEEDED. PENN STATION. NEWARK, NJ
- . WELL DONE. INITIATE. PHASE TWO
OVER THERE Colonel Broyles sits in a bar at the counter watching footage of East River vortex 20 years ago with a few dozen other patrons. Colonel Broyles finishes his drink and when he is about to leave some money, the bartender stops him and expresses his appreciation for his work.
Colonel Broyles visits Olivia's cell. She asks for his help to escape from getting her brains taken out and clarifies to him that her universe is not at war with theirs. Despite of Olivia's insistence, Colonel Broyles cannot offer his help. A technician goes in to the room and prepares Olivia's syringes. Colonel Broyles looks back at Olivia, but quickly turns his back and move away.
Colonel Broyles, together with his wife, walks down the Central Park aviary. He shares his frustration over a decision he has to make. Diane believes that her husband will do the right thing to protect their world... and restore hope.
OVER HERE The team races towards Penn Station. Broyles reminds his command post that Bolivia should be taken alive. Walter is clueless as to why Bolivia is heading towards Penn Station. Peter receives positive and comforting words from Broyles - Olivia will survive.
OVER THERE Olivia is in a surgical bed, facing down. Brandon and his assistant readies for the brain extraction. When Brandon is about to cut into her, Colonel Broyles bursts in, shooting Brandon with a sedative dart. Olivia is glad to see that the colonel comes back to save her. Colonel Broyles stabs her with an adrenaline shot, to relieve her paralytic state. Olivia and Colonel Broyles runs towards the elevator and head down to the ground floor, where the laboratory is situated. Brandon's assistant returns and finds Brandon sedated on the floor. Olivia finds drip bags containing red fluid, which she presume to be Cortexiphan. She starts initializing the sensory deprived tank... only to find out that it was empty. Olivia cannot cross over. The security alarm goes off.
As the alarm continues to blare, Olivia suggests to go to Harvard and use the sensory deprivation tank in there. She collects some of the drip bags, needles and syringe. Colonel Broyles offers his help to reach her destination. Secretary Bishop receives a call of security breach in the Liberty Island - Olivia is missing.
OVER HERE At Penn Station, a bearded young man approaches Bolivia, who is enjoying her coffee. Inside the restroom, Luke implants a harmonic rod in her palm. Peter, Walter and Broyles reach the station. Broyles provides Peter a gun. They begin searching for the traitor. When Luke is about to implant the harmonic rod at Bolivia's back, a woman enters the restroom. Peter spots Bolivia and her accomplice exiting the restroom. Bolivia fires her gun into the air and starts a panic in the crowd. The two retreats back to the restroom, while Peter reports their location over a tactical radio. Bolivia drags a woman out of the restroom, holding her as a hostage. Bolivia starts to make a demand - either they put their guns down or she will shoot the lady. Broyles orders to put their guns down and a girl runs toward the team, screaming for her mother. Peter challenges the hostage - and she failed to give her daughter's name. Realizing that she is a shape-shifter, Peter puts a bullet in her forehead. Bolivia is handcuffed. She starts to confess her feelings for Peter but he did not buy it. A police officer brings him her backpack. Peter checks on it and find the strip of photos they took together.
OVER THERE At the Harvard lab, Olivia locates the familiar tank. Olivia fills it with water and salt while Colonel Broyles prepares the red fluid obtained from the Liberty Island. As Olivia goes into the tank, a raiding team arrives. Colonel Broyles shows Olivia an implanted tracker in his wrist. He puts his hope on to Olivia. Olivia submerge herself in the tank, closing her eyes and tries to concentrate...
OVER HERE Olivia emerges out of the tank in Walter's lab. Astrid turns her back toward the noise... to her surprise, she drops the lab supplies in her hands. Olivia is relieved to find Astrid in the lab, she collapses down to the floor.
Bolivia is placed at the back of the van. Walter investigates a pin in the injection gun used by the shapeshifter. The time strikes to 4:00 and Bolivia's palms begin to glow. After receiving a call from Astrid, Broyles tells Peter that Olivia manages to crossover to Walter's lab and currently in Boston General Hospital. Walter suddenly realizes that the pin he found is a harmonic rod used to bring objects to the other side. The ground and the transport truck shakes. The team finds a dead body of Colonel Broyles, scorched and maimed, at the back of the van.OVER THERE At Fringe Division, Lincoln catches Bolivia as she strolls in from the elevator lobby.
Peter sits beside Olivia's hospital bed. Peter apologizes and Olivia explains that he is the reason why she was able to come back. He leans over forward and kisses her on the forehead.
- The Observer stands outside of Penn Station, next to a taxicab, while Bolivia Dunham meets a shapeshifter to receive harmonic implants.
- Opening Splash. The opening title sequence used an alternating blue and red background as a prelude to the frequent switches between universes.
- Continuity Errors
- Props. In the lab on Liberty Island, Broyles has a communication device clipped to his right ear. As he and Olivia leave, the device is there, not there, there, not there, repeatedly during the fast-paced, multi-edit sequence.
- Literary Techniques
- Mirroring/Irony. Broyles would bet if anybody could survive on the other side, it would be Olivia. Colonel Broyles said the same thing about Bolivia. (Olivia)
- Recurring Themes
- Harmonic Transfer. A harmonic device (The Man From The Other Side) has been miniaturized. The smaller version was implanted into Bolivia to allow her to return to her universe.
- Sensory Deprivation. Olivia uses the sensory deprivation tank in the alternate Bishop's lab to crossover back to her universe.
- Olivia is stabbed with an adrenaline syringe through the sternum. (Momentum Deferred)
- Self-Medication. Walter continues to consume his personal strain of his own cannabis. (Brown Betty)
- Episode References
- Case Files. Peter locates information Bolivia has been studying from Fringe cases (Snakehead), heart parasite (In Which We Meet Mr. Jones) and super-sized cold virus (Bound).
- Test Quote. Peter tests Bolivia with "Na einai kalytero anthropo apo ton patera toy", the phrase Olivia blurted when she emerged from a coma. (A New Day In The Old Town)
|The advertising outside of the church (The Abducted) of Reverend Marcus suggests that entering will lead to salvation. Olivia and Colonel Broyles entered, solved the case and developed a close bond... foreshadowing the events that lead to her salvation.|
• You Got It (by Roy Orbison) - Rooney
|— Plot Relevant Questions —||Address theories about questions on Entrada/Theories Ask minor questions on the Talk Page|
1) Do not answer the questions here.
- Why was Colonel Broyles maimed and scorched when he was transferred to this universe?
- Was Colonel Broyles intentionally transferred to this universe as a one-for-one replacement for Bolivia?
- If so, what method did they use to transfer him here?
- If so, does Bolivia know that Colonel Broyles' was her counter-mass in the transfer?
- Why was the owner of Antique Typeset freed so quickly after he was caught supporting the communication needs of the infiltrators from the alternate universe?
- Where did he hide the stolen weapon component before he delivered if to The Librarian?
- What is the significance of the stolen weapon component that was delivered to The Librarian?
- What is the role of The Librarian in the war between the universes?
- Are there other methods to communicate with the alternate universe besides the Selectric 251 in the antique typeset store?
- Where were the mini-harmonic rods that were implanted in Bolivia developed?
- How did Bolivia avoid the biophysical side-effects normally associated with harmonic travel between the universes?