|Profession:||Secretary of Defense of the United States - Political Appointee In The Alternate Universe, Scientist Extraordinaire, Author||Portrayed by: |
|Also Known As:||Mister Secretary, Secretary Bishop, Walternate|
|Family:||Peter Bishop - son, Elizabeth Bishop - wife|
|Connections:||Thomas Newton - senior operative, Dr. Brandon Fayette - lead researcher, Reiko - courtesan|
|Seen In:||19 of 100 episodes|
|Status:||Relieved that the trans-dimensional bridge helped heal the temporal rifts of both worlds|
|Remarks:||Has recently been exposing shapeshifter infiltators and Bell/Jones double agents in and around his organization|
|Images of Secretary Bishop Alternate Version|
Secretary Walter Bishop is a leading US Government official (DoD) from the alternate universe. He is the one and only birth father of the lone Peter Bishop that survived childhood disease to help save humanity, regardless of timeline, era or universe. In the final timeline before Walter and young Michael can travel to the future to save this universe from the Observers and reset the 2036 timeline back to a stable 2015, Olivia learns from Bolivia Dunham (Liberty) and Agent Lee when they reunite - the 90+ year-old, former politician, retired 20 years earlier (≈2016) from the DoD, and that he still lectures at Harvard.
Always a pivotal player in the overall saga, he is not seen, or mentioned by name until the end of Season 2.
Secretary Bishop formerly worked as a scientist in the same parallel universe Boston area lab that Walter currently uses. He was famous for being the architect of their Star Wars defense system. Prior to becoming the Defense Secretary, he worked at Bishop Dynamic. (Subject 13)
In 1985, he tried to synthesize a compound that would cure his son's genetic disease. When he failed, Walter Bishop abducted his son and cured him in this universe (Peter). Six months after the abduction incident, Walter was unable to accept the loss of his son and relied on alcohol. The incident causes a fractured marital relationship. (Subject 13).
In 1995, he wrote and published ZFT... The Natural Decay Of Our World. He admits to his current Fringe Division team in Manhatan that the book is a half-truth and that the tears in the fabric of the universes are not natural decay. The tears lead to something on the other side. (Over There, Part 1)
- Nickname. Called "Walternate" in 1985 by Bell and Walter, the reference is occasionally utilized by Agent Broyles' science task force.
|— Plot Relevant Questions —||Address theories about questions on Walter Bishop/Instance/Theories Ask minor questions on the Talk Page|
1) Do not answer the questions here.
- Does Secretary Bishop's actions represent the will of his government, or is he conducting a personal vendetta against this universe and Walter?
- Has Secretary Bishop tried to retrieve Peter Bishop from this universe prior to their Noyo County meeting (The Man From The Other Side)?
- Did Secretary Bishop visit Walter during his stay at St. Claire's (The Equation)?
- Where (or from whom) did he get the plans for the ancient Wave Sink Device weapon?
- Does he have a connection to Sam Weiss, either his version or ours? (Over There, Part 2)
- If so, is his connection related to the phrase A DEMON'S TWIST RUSTS (anagram for DON'T TRUST SAM WEISS) written on his old Harvard chalkboard in the laboratory he abandoned inside of the Amber exclusion zone?
- If so, which Sam Weiss does it refer to, if two exist?